Is the energy certificate compulsory for sale or rent?

20 May 2019

The presentation of the energy certificate is compulsory from the moment you decide to advertise the sale or rental of a property.

It is true that the energy certificate is mandatory for selling or renting a house. But not only. It is also mandatory for transactions such as exchange, transfer of property, delivery in kind, lease, including for buildings prior to 1951.

The letter corresponding to the property’s energy certification must be included in the advertisement, as soon as it is placed online, in newspapers or through estate agents.

Therefore, even before putting the house up for sale or for rent, the first thing you should think about is requesting its energy certification!

Non-compliance can lead to fines

Being mandatory for selling or renting, the absence of the energy class in the respective advertisement gives rise to a fine.

For individuals, it can range from 250 to 3,741 euros. For companies, it varies between 2,500 and 44,890 euros.

Anyone who identifies an advertisement for sale or rental of a property without indicating the respective energy level can report the situation of non-compliance on the website of ADENE – Energy Agency.

Energy certificate is mandatory: not for all properties

The certificate is compulsory in most residential and service buildings.

Most exceptions to the rule relate to primary commercial activities, such as agricultural facilities. Housing spaces with very small or dilapidated areas can also be found in the exceptions that are not required to be certified.

Find out all the exceptions to the rule.

Are you unsure if your house already has an energy certificate or can’t find the document?

Request your energy certificate